The Revised Version, Standard American Edition of the Bible (commonly known as the American Standard Version or ASV) is the result of cooperation between British and American scholars who worked on the revision of the King James (Authorized Version) Bible between 1872 and 1901. The goal was to provide readers with accurate, literal, word-for-word translation of the Holy Scriptures. The revisers retained the archaic language of the KJV in most instances. ASV has served as the basis for a number of modern translations and paraphrases, such as Revised Standard Version, Amplified Bible, New American Standard Bible, the Recovery Version, the World English Bible, and the Living Bible.
Features of this version of the ASV Bible that has the same text as your paper copy:
– Direct Verse Jump, a revolutionary new method to open the exact verse you need in mere seconds (see below)
– two other ways to navigate between books and chapters: (i) using a hyperlinked table of contents; and (ii) pressing the joystick right or left to move between books of the Bible. Once you learn all of the three navigation methods, you will be able to open any verse in your Kindle Bible as fast as (or even faster than) in your paper copy
– includes prefaces to Old and New Testaments from the American and English Revised Versions
– The text of this electronic edition is painstakingly verified to be true to the ASV paper editions
– correctly formatted (i.e., true formatting of the original ASV – italics; poetic formatting of Psalms, etc.)
– easy to determine where you are in the Bible
– the text is broken into paragraphs for cohesion of the text
– as any Kindle book, the ASV Bible is searchable; however, when you first install the file please wait for the Kindle to index the whole Bible (about 10 minutes). The file is large and it takes a long time to index. For this reason, the DVJ navigation method will be available only after the book has been indexed
Note that this edition does not include the marginal notes. Also note that this edition is not TTS(text-to-speech)-friendly. If you would like us to release a TTS-friendly edition, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct Verse Jump: new navigation method using the search functionality:
In this version, all you need to do is type an abbreviated book name (see the table of contents for the complete list), then period, then chapter number, period again, and then verse number and finally press “find” twice (you need not wait for the Kindle to display the search results) and you will be looking at that particular verse in seconds. If you just need to open the first verse of any chapter then the verse number is not necessary. Do not forget periods and use only the abbreviations that are listed in the table of contents. The first time you use this Bible, please wait for the Kindle to index this large book before using the DVJ navigation (approximately 10-15 minutes).
For example, if you wish to select chapter 3 of Genesis, you would:
1. type the standard abbreviation for Genesis (see the table of contents for a complete list), then period, and finally number “3” in other words: ge.3
2. click “find” twice and you are there.
For John 3:16, you type “jn.3.16” and double click “find”.
Note that you should put the chapter number even for books that have only one chapter. For example, the Epistle from Jude verse 5 would translate to “jud.1.5” and a double click.
For other publications by OSNOVA, please visit the OSNOVA Press website at http://osnovapress.wordpress.com/
If you have any questions or concerns at all about this (or any other of my publications), please email me at email@example.com
Kindle Bible (ASV) (best navigation with Direct Verse Jump; paragraphed)